Rescue hopes fade after Russian attack on Dnipro apartment block

Ukrainian authorities say there is little hope of rescuing any more survivors from the rubble of a collapsed apartment block in the city of Dnipro a day after it was hit by

Russian missiles, with dozens of people expected to have been killed. The regional governor’s adviser, Natalia Babachenko, said 30 people were confirmed dead so far and

more than 30 were in hospital, including 12 in serious condition. Between 30 and 40 people could still be trapped under debris, she said. Emergency workers said they had

heard people screaming for help from underneath the rubble of the nine-storey apartment block in the city in east-central Ukraine. The workers used moments of silence to direct

their rescue efforts, but freezing temperatures added to rescue concerns. “The chances of saving people now are minimal,” Dnipro’s Mayor Borys Filatov told the news agency

Reuters. “I think the number of dead will be in the dozens.” Filatov added that two stairwells and dozens of flats were destroyed. “Some people were pulled out

alive; some were badly injured,” Al Jazeera’s Natacha Butler said, adding that “among the dead was a 15-year-old girl”. Russia fired two waves of missiles at Ukraine on

Saturday, attacking targets across the country including the capital, Kyiv, and the northeastern city of Kharkiv, as fighting raged on the battlefield in the eastern towns of

Soledar and Bakhmut. Moscow, which invaded Ukraine in February 2022, has been pounding the country’s energy infrastructure with missiles and drones since October, causing

sweeping blackouts and disruptions to central heating and running water.